The recent UN report left me feeling pretty anxious. And I’m sure there’s many of you feeling the same way.
The report is full of scary numbers, like millions of species at risk of extinction and a current extinction rate that is tens to hundreds times higher than the 10-million-year average.
It’s no longer about “climate change.” This is a crisis. It baffles me that people aren’t more concerned – especially people with children. What future are you planning for your kids if you don’t take the health of the planet seriously?
But it’s important to remind ourselves and each other that this doesn’t mean we should all just fall over and let life as we know it come to an end.
Yes, nature is declining. But we can do something about it. Humans respond pretty well to crises. And youth all around the world, like Greta Thunberg, are standing up for the earth.
I have hope.
Some things you can do right now to help the Earth:
- Demand action from politicians.
- Avoid buying from/investing in companies with unethical environmental practices.
- Be mindful of your daily activities and how they affect the environment.
- Include more native plant species in your garden to help our pollinators.
- Support ethical brands/businesses.